INTERNATIONAL PERSPECTIVES ON EDUCATION POLICY (IPEP)
This Seasonal School considers theories and methods relevant across the field of educational policy research. It is designed primarily for PhD students, postdoctoral fellows, and researchers of policy in all areas of education but is suitable also for advanced master students. The School includes an explicit focus on policy related to higher and adult education, but the specific content of activities is developed in the light of the participants’ profiles.
IPEP provides participants with an opportunity to learn about, and discuss:
- The nature and the role of ‘theory’ in the understanding of educational policy
- The relationship between global, national, and institutional governance in education
- The strengths and limits of document analysis, discourse analysis and educational ethnography to investigate education policy
- Current discourses on new technologies, their consequences, and educational responses to them
- Urgent education policy issues in the countries represented by the participants
IPEP is carried out as a unique opportunity for the participants to experience and collaborate on policy ethnographic fieldwork in an international perspective. It is innovative in respect to have the participants doing a real fieldwork and thus learning the tools of education policy ethnography in practice. This concept has proved very successful in the past years, where we have had participants from all over the world, who have been particularly pleased with its strongly practice-based character.
IPEP stems from co-operation between the University of Verona (Department of Human Sciences), Aalborg University (Department of Learning and Philosophy), the University of Nottingham (School of Education), and the Institute of Research on Population and Social Policies of the National Research Council of Italy (CNR-IRPPS), co-founders of the International Research Centre for Global and Comparative Policy Studies on the Education and Learning of Adults (IRC-GloCoPoS).
In 2017, 2018 and 2019 IPEP was held as a Winter School at the University of Verona (Italy), whereas in 2021 it was held as a Summer School at Alborg University (Denmark).